Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I usually just use TextWrangler and Transmit for webdesign, but I have tried out RapidWeaver, and actually liked it. It gives you a bit more control than iWeb, and makes fairly nice and standards compliant code. Not a bad chioce, and fairly reasonable priced. :)

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
I use Rapidweaver & like it best, but there is also Sandvox. I'm sure there are lots more that I am unaware of too.

quick question

When i paste my adsense code into the "edit" page of my website and I go to preview, it doesnt show up? Also does not show up when I publish it.

maybe I'm doing something wrong??

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Dreamweaver is great, Its very professional and you can make a lot of things with it. But it cost a lot (thank god im a student so i get the student discount:) :) :) :) :) :) )

But is there a steep learning curve or can I just open it and start making pages and sites quickly?

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
Your brain :p
/arrogant reply.

Dreamweaver does have a learning curve but it is not that hard to navigate through. One of the problems I have with dreamweaver is that the instant preview does not always show your divs in the exact place as you coded them, sooner or later you tend to rely on :apple: + F12 to see your page in a browser instead. I would look at the recomendations that people have posted such as textmate or taco html, those have preview windows that let you see what you are coding in real time without losing so much $.

Cheers.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
textmate ftw! use it to hand code your site and it's css

I'm going to sound like a condescending SOB when I say this, but I can't help it....if you're truly serious about making websites, you should hand code them using a text editor (like TextMate, or TextWrangler, or Smultron, or SubEthaEdit, or BBEdit, or whatever). It's the only way you're going to have full control over your markup so it works and looks the best across all platforms.

Plus, once you get enough hand-codind under your belt, it's not any slower than WYSIWYG editing anyway.

petermarks

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
Hello:

I run a small business and am comfortable using dreamweaver, etc on an elementary level. I do not know html very well at all. Do you think our site, which has .aspx pages in it, would benefit from from someone manually editing the html code? Thanks!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Hello:

I run a small business and am comfortable using dreamweaver, etc on an elementary level. I do not know html very well at all. Do you think our site, which has .aspx pages in it, would benefit from from someone manually editing the html code? Thanks!

Can we see your website to make a judgement please?

Thanks.

petermarks

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
Not at the moment unfortunately. All of our aspx pages are in a secure environment for the time being due to testing and patent application writing. In a month or so I should be able to show everything off. Thanks for offering your feedback though elppa, I'll let you know when we finally go live!

-Peter

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Hello:

.aspx is asp.net. Doesn't that have to be compiled in visual studio to run? I don't think you can just edit those files in dreamweaver and call it a day.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I've been using TacoEdit (seems to have been renamed since I downloaded) on my macbook pro lately. I wasn't too keen on running dreamweaver through rosetta while doing my travel blog so I gave TacoEdit a try and I've been using it since.

It's light, it's fast, it's easy for hand coding.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
wow... 20+ comments and not one mention of Coda yet?

I have used Dreamweaver since it was introduced. As a HTML text editor / FTP / versioning system it works just fine.

Its wysiwyg editor -- like all wysiwyg editors -- creates code that is not so great...

I have switched over to Coda (http://www.panic.com/coda/) and am much happier. Elegant, simple and inexpensive compared to dreamweaver.

Espresso (http://macrabbit.com/espresso/) is made by the folks that make CSSEdit and is another popular tool among HTML/CSS professionals.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Another RapidWeaver user here although I find that its value comes from the additional plug ins like Blocks and Stacks...

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Different apps suit different cases.

-iWeb: Waste of space.

-RapidWeaver: Good for newbies. I don't like the default templates and you have to pay for "add-ons". Probably the best option if you don't know how to do a website.

-Dreamweaver: Probably most professionals use it. It's the more complete but in my opinion is bloated. I don't like the interface and the generated code is not the best.

-Textmate: Powerful text editor. I believe it's the best (but it's not my favorite).

-Espresso: Seems like it has future but CODA is superior (by far) from now. I hope to see this app improve, specially if they incorporate CSSedit (they are the same creators).

-CODA: My favorite. The interface is great and the app is very powerful (complete).

For CSS: CSSedit is the best (by unanimous decision). I use CODA for CSS though.

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
No matter what people say, Dreamweaver is really the standard. It's easy to learn and you can build nice websites quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.